Differences between Qurbānī and Ṣadaqat al-Fiṭr
Are there any differences between Qurbānī and Ṣadaqat al-Fiṭr?
بسم الله الرحمن الرحیم
The differences include:
- Qurbānī (Uḍḥiyyah) is not necessary on behalf of non-bāligh children according to the preferred view, Ṣadaqat al-Fiṭr is necessary on their behalf.
- Qurbānī cannot be given in advance of 10th Dhū al-Ḥijjah. Ṣadaqat al-Fiṭr can be given prior to 1st Shawwāl.
- Ṣadaqat al-Fitr has to be given to poor people. Qurbānī is an act of sacrifice, and the meat can be consumed by anyone including the person himself.
- Ṣadaqat al-Fiṭr can be discharged in the ḥanafī school via its value from the outset. Qurbānī during the days of Eid is only valid via sacrifice of an animal, donating the value does not constitute Qurbānī.
- In the ḥanafī school, both are wājib. However, according to the other schools, Qurbānī is an emphasised Sunnah, whilst Ṣadaqat al-Fiṭr is Farḍ (compulsory).
Allah knows best
9 Dhū al-Ḥijjah 1441 / 30 July 2020
Approved by: Mufti Shabbir Ahmed and Mufti Muhammad Tahir