Will maternal nephews and nieces inherit?
A deceased leaves behind the following:
- 4 paternal brothers (father the same)
- 6 paternal sisters (father the same)
- 1 maternal brother (mother the same)
- 1 maternal sister (mother the same)
- 4 maternal nieces and 1 maternal nephew (children of the deceased’s maternal sister who passed away before)
How will the inheritance be distributed and will the maternal nieces and nephew inherit?
بسم الله الرحمن الرحیم
The inheritance will be distributed as follows:
- Wife: 42/168th – 1/4th (25%)
- Each of the 4 paternal brothers: 10/168th (5.952%)
- Each of the 6 paternal sisters: 5/168th (2.976%)
- Maternal brother: 28/168th – 1/6th (16.667%)
- Maternal sister: 28/168th – 1/6th (16.667%)
The maternal nieces and nephew will not inherit.
Note: The fractions should be used, as the percentages have been rounded off.
Allah knows best
5 Ṣafar 1443 / 13 September 2021
Approved by: Mufti Shabbir Ahmed and Mufti Muhammad Tahir